APD logoPolice end case after determining no danger

UPDATED Feb. 8: Gibbs School students and staff sheltered in place for about 2 1/2 hours on Wednesday, Feb. 7, after shell casings were found on campus, police and school authorities said. However,  officials have since said that they have learned that at no time was anyone in danger.

Through subsequent investigation, Arlington Police connected the casings to an individual who had attended an event on campus the previous evening.

That individual cooperated with police, who before noon Thursday, Feb. 8, had determined that the two casings were dropped by accident, and so police therefore closed the investigation. No charges will be filed, an updated news release said.

Background to the incident

On Wednesday afternoon, Arlington Police Chief Julie Flaherty and Schools Superintendent Elizabeth Homan had reported to the public that police were investigating after shell casings were found inside Gibb School earlier that day.

At about 9:30 a.m. Feb. 7, a staff member at the Gibbs School, 41 Foster St., informed School Resource Officer Bryan White that they had discovered two casings from a 9 mm handgun on the staircase of the main stairwell.  Additional officers responded.

Out of an abundance of caution, students and faculty were temporarily asked to shelter in place while K-9s searched the building. No additional casings or weapons were located.The shelter-in-place order was lifted at 12:05 p.m.

Police had an additional presence at the school for the remainder of the school day as a precautionary measure. Students were dismissed at 1:20 p.m., as Feb. 7 was a previously scheduled early-release day.

Gibbs School is attended by Arlington public-school students in sixth grade.

Sept. 7, 2023: Car hits pedestrian near Town Hall; victim recovering; involved driver cited

This account was published about 5:45 p.m Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, based on information from John Guilfoil Public Relations, a firm used by many first responders and governmental agencies in greater Boston, and based on information from the Arlington police and school officials. It was updated shortly after noon Feb. 8, to say that the shell casings were determined to have been dropped by accident by a visitor and posed no danger to anyone.